When I don't feel well, over the counter remedies don't help because of my autoimmune thyroid disease. A thyroid malfunction can make my immune system attack the rest of my body and cause inflammation, pain, plus a host of other uncomfortable conditions. Immune stimulants like Echinacea and Zinc make the reaction even worse.
I approach being sick in a different way, see if you want to try any of my suggestions.
1. Stay home and rest. So simple and so hard for many of us to accomplish. It's why sick days were created, if you've got 'em, use 'em. Bonus - your co-workers will thank you for not exposing them to your crud and having to listen to you sniffle, sneeze or cough all day.
2. Aches & chills? Take an epsom salt bath. 1-2 Cups of epsom salts per full, very warm bath tub. Add a few drops of essential oils: Lavender for relaxing and soothing sore muscles and joints. Eucalyptus and/ or Rosemary to break up phlem and breathe easier.
3. Stay in your jammies, take lots of naps. Hydrate with lots of water, teas and bone broth (I keep some in the freezer).
4. Sore throat or cough? Gargle with warm salted water several times a day. It makes a huge difference. Soups, bananas and applesauce go down easily when throats are swollen or irritated.
5. What kind of teas? Glad you asked.
Chamomile or Hibiscus, Lemon juice or a few slices of peeled Ginger Root with Honey, Decaf Black or Green (don't forget - go take a nap)
6. Feeling over the worst part but not really yourself yet? Short walks and gentle yoga poses can help get you up and moving. Then take another nap!